Tuesday, August 28, 2007

You know what I'm really into right now? Marine invertebrates. They're just so cool. Did you know that sand dollars can crawl? I don't even know what a living sand dollar looks like but apparently they're all covered in spines. Why don't I live by an ocean?
One of my friends from work goes home to Newfoundland as often as he can, and uses my house as a waystation for airport access. He brought me back an issue of Downhome, a local digest, which had an interesting article on seashells. There's a type of sea urchin in Newfoundland which is locally called a Whore's Egg. Apparently its radula, or tooth, is called an Aristotle's Lantern.
And you may recall from my poem 'Pyrite Pirates' that a shark egg is also known as a mermaid's purse. Sharks, of course, are marine vertebrates, or as I like to call them, ininvertebrates.
A couple of months ago in Honolulu they pulled up this weird cephalopod that looked sort of like a squid/octopus hybrid, though the photo looks pretty squiddy to me. Judge for yourself.
Other things I'm into right now include the new KoRn, Heroes Season 1 DVD, and ScienceBlogs.

No comments: