Thursday, February 28, 2008

Have you checked out the Encyclopedia of Life yet? The goal is that eventually it will catalog each of the 1.8 million known species of life. For now they mostly have a lot of fish. Not much on bears and hardly anything on frogs. Right now it's slow and crashy. Bear with them and I'm sure they'll work the bugs out and get her purring like a tiger. Okay enough with the bad puns.
Anyways I was hoping they would have the entry on Dendrobates azureus ready because 2008 is the Year of the Frog, and tomorrow is Leap Day, which has sort of become the unofficial day to celebrate all things frogular. Leap frog, leap year, see? Sadly I have to work tomorrow and all weekend so I will be unable to attend any of the events planned at the Valley Zoo. I'm sure your local zoo will have some goings on so if you love frogs make sure you jump at the opportunity to observe them and maybe contribute to the conservation efforts going on on their behalf. Darren Naish has some good links and info on his blog Tetrapod Zoology, specifically this post here.
In honor of Frog Year I started writing a children's novel about them and beginning tomorrow I will start serializing it here for your enjoyment. The star of the show, as you might have guessed, is Dendrobates azureus.
And I have no idea why my link text color changed color. There is no CSS explanation for it. It is a Mystery of the Unexplained.

No comments: