Sunday, March 30, 2008

The best fossils I ever found at the coal mine were some small bivalves, probably clams not too genetically dissimilar to present-day species. Coal of course is made of fossil plant matter, but actual fossil specimens are fairly rare. You do see the odd leaf imprint but that's about it. Not that we really have time to go snooping for fossils. My dad described something he saw to me once and my guess is it was a crinoid. And even though the coal comes from a Cretaceous formation, we have never found anything even close to dinosaurian, like this incredibly well-preserved plesiosaur they found in a different Albertan mine.

Nothing exciting ever happens at work
A wee bit of fun would be a great perk
When my boss sees me starting to get bored
He gives me a five-year safety award
But a better idea of what I deserved:
Finding a fossil, perfectly preserved
Something with plenty of claws and sharp teeth
A T-rex with maybe a club underneath
Something to prove that dinos were smart
that they liked to use tools and even make art
this kind of find would break the routine
of endlessly running the exact same machine

No comments: