Thursday, March 13, 2008

Perdido Street Station was such a good book that I needed a break from China MiƩville after reading it. How's that? New Crobuzon in all its putrescent glory was so real and jarring that I almost felt I needed to let its thaumaturgical pollution work its way out of my system before tackling him again. Plus he uses a lot of big words. I had no idea he'd written a children's novel. Lucky I found Un Lun Dun at Greenwood's big sale a few weeks back. What a fantastic book, in all senses of the word. UnLondon is just as strange as New Crobuzon but considerably more whimsical and fun. If New Crobuzon is System of a Down- brilliant, frenetic, political and twisted, then UnLondon is . . . um . . . I'm sure I can complete this analogy just give me a sec . . . Beck. Yeah! Beck. Only it makes slightly more sense.
Another book we bought at Greenwood's that day was Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker. Actually Michelle picked this one out on a recommendation from Laurie Greenwood. From what Laurie said we got the impression it was also a whimsical fun tale, but it's not, really. It's more or less straight horror, but with lots of demonic angst I guess. To be honest I didn't really care for it, though there was nothing really wrong with it. Just not what I expected, I guess. Strangely, CTV has the best website for it.

No comments: