Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Amidst the crashing of financial markets the world over I almost feel crass to tell you I have to spend a thousand dollars on personal health and wellness before the end of the year. But coal mining is an occupation that is especially vulnerable to the vagaries of the commodities market and this time next month I could easily be facing impending layoffs. So if my employer wants to give me a grand to spend on getting more healthy I might as well take advantage while I can. The question is how.
I already run, and that doesn't cost much money at all- just shoes every six months or so. I'm all geared up for hiking too though next year I might use this fund to get some new gear. But considering the time of year I am thinking of finally trying out snowboarding. Yeah I know- I grew up a half hour from the Rockies and have never snowboarded. Hardly ever skied either. But no one ever offered to pay for it before!
So like, do you just go buy a snowboard from the snowboard store? Or are there different types of boards depending on skill level and usage? Based on my ability to toboggan standing up I am already pretty much an expert. And I figure I'll probably need one that can do flips and shreds. Maybe ollies and hang tens too. So what brand is that?
Oh yeah, and I already asked- a Wii Fit is not covered.
Also I have a $50 gift card to Chapters- anyone got any book recommendations? I was thinking of getting The Art of the Force Unleashed. Because there is some beautiful artwork in there. But I'm open to other suggestions too.