Monday, October 27, 2008

I think the scariest thing for me this Halloween is my bus driver. For some reason, finding a good bus driver for us poor coal miners has been problematic (as I've talked about before- and the suicidal driver we had? Yup, he finally succeeded but at least he did it in private). This one we have now is whiny and annoying, but if he could drive I wouldn't mind. He hasn't figured out how to regulate the heat in the bus; he drives with his window open, dusting us out, so he doesn't fall asleep (a prudent safety measure but not one that inspires confidence); he won't let you have your reading light on in the first four rows; he has the two-way radio way too loud . . . like I say, annoying but I could live with it if he could drive.
Tonight he almost rolled the bus when he pulled over to let someone off and went into the ditch. Luckily it wasn't icy so he was able to get out without killing us all. He laughed and said "Sorry guys" like it was no big deal but no one else was laughing. Someone called out to a fellow passenger, "Hey Pete, maybe you should drive!", and the bus driver says, "What? You want more heat?"