Thursday, January 06, 2011

Before Christmas a friend lent me this cool coffee table sorta book about the history of Marvel Comics. It had a page or four for each year from 1939 or something right up to when it was published, maybe 2009? I read every page though apparently my non-detail oriented mind didn't pick up too much dates-wise. Doesn't matter because it was so cool! Filled me in on a lot of stuff I sorta knew about, and all the stuff in the 90s and oeys that I missed out on. Also she lent me a Wizard magazine which filled in some of the stuff the official versions left out- like did you know Steve Ditko pretty much fell off the face of the planet? And Bill Mantlo, who wrote ROM Spaceknight which I loved back in the 80s, he was hit-and-runned quite a while ago now and suffered permanent brain damage of the worst sort. Sad.
Anyways, I bring this up because the last few days at work I been reading Batman- The Dark Knight Returns (which of course is DC but it all relates). That and Watchmen are pretty much the most famous (superhero oriented anyways) graphic novels ever. With good reason. Frank Miller of course started out at Marvel with his brilliant Daredevil run and then revitalized Batman with DKR, published in the mid-80s sometime (details, man, I no good at them) and now he's most famous for Sin City and 300. Um, I was going somewhere with all this. I really was. And now not only the details escape me but the whole general idea. Well, the general idea is that comics are awesome.

No comments: