Monday, January 10, 2011

A minor Facebook skirmish broke out over who came up with the exceedingly clever joke of comparing the current winter conditions to living on Hoth. Umm, all us school kids 30 years ago? It's not Hoth if there aren't any wampas. Anyways. I would like to know who first came up with that whole "Did you know the Chinese character for crisis is made up of the words danger and opportunity" thing. And punch him in the face.
Seriously. I first heard it in 1992, which I remember because it was a pastor speaking in a church in the Ukraine which I've only ever visited in 92. Even wide-eyed naive ole me wasn't impressed- it seemed that, even if that were true, it was more likely because crisis could be translated as an "opportunity FOR danger". And then hearing it umpteen billion times since, well, it doesn't speak highly of your originality if you pull that one outta your ass. David Suzuki I'm looking at you. Even Robert McKee sullies his otherwise excellent Story by trotting it out.
Well a quick googleglot reveals that my suspicions are correct- it's bullshit. With just enough truth to persist in the minds of politicians and preachers everywhere.
In other news, I briefly reached the 2000 song plateau on my iTunes today before trimming some fat. Any suggestions for what should be my real 2000th song?

No comments: