Thursday, December 03, 2020

 One thing this pandemic has been good for has been all these collaborations between homebound musicians, and the livestreams and stuff they do. In fact, I finished a story last week that was based on an idea I've had for years, but the concept of remote performances and livestreams and stuff turned out to be the spark needed to really give it life. Not sure what I'm going to do with that story, yet. I'd like to submit it  to some of the magazines I like, but it doesn't fit super neatly into any category. Science fiction I guess, or well....fantasy? Contemporary fantasy? I dunno, it's just uncanny. It's about heavy metal and kaiju, kind of. It's really fun, though, if I do say so myself. I'll let you know if it ever finds a home.

In the meantime, I've been meaning to make a list of cool covers and whatever else that I've enjoyed and/or been meaning to take the time to watch. One of the earliest ones directly attributable to the pandemic that I saw was this fantastic performance of Godzilla by Blue Öyster Cult.

Larkin Poe are amazing, and they have put out a lot of great performing from home videos, like this one, but really just watch every single one of their videos.

Scott Ian and Charlie Benante have been very active as well, teaming up together as Anthrax and S.O.D. of course but also separately with everyone from Sepultura (who have produced a great quarantine series for their new album Quarta, called Sepulquarta) to DMC for some fun jams. I really liked this King of Rock medley

DMC also shows up in this - I need more synonyms for awesome fantastic etc etc- killer rendition of We Care A Lot by like everyone ever. Except for Billy Gould!  Love it!

One of my faves- this cover of Holy Wars...The Punishment Due by members of Mastodon, Revocation and Dethklok.


Now I have some stuff I haven't watched yet but want to drop the links to come back to later:

Metallica covering Alice In Chain's Would? but can't find an official link. Search later!

Vicky Psarakis, Falling Away From Me.

Khemmis, Come Out and Play

No comments: