Thursday, July 03, 2003

It's Amazing I Ever Graduated
I failed more than a few tests in university. Some were my own fault, caused by lack of studying or going to class, like the time I walked (late) into my early morning zoology class for the first time in a month and was startled to see everyone bent over their seats writing furiously. "What's going on?" I asked the nearest person. "Mid-term," came the reply. Another time during finals I was happily sleeping in, ready for my genetics final at 2. Then the thought popped into my brain- "Wouldn't it be funny if the test was at 9 rather than 2? Haha." And then the thought wouldn't leave me alone, so finally I got up and checked my test timetable. Sure enough, it was at 9. And since it was already 11, I had pretty much missed it. Luckily, though, my prof was very understanding and she let me write it anyways.
But some were just honest, innocent mistakes, like the time both me and Jonny Smelter walked into our astronomy mid-term without a calculator. We left helpful notes explaining to the marker that we had to do the test sans calculator, hence the lack of actual answers on the test. The tests came back with failing grades, and the written admonishment to make sure to bring a calculator to the final. As a sidenote, I did indeed bring one to the final, and I also recall wearing my red and black Canada cap festooned with tinsel, since it was the holiday season.
Or another time, when I was in fourth year but doing a first year physics class. It was sooo easy, compared to some of the 400-level geology I was doing. I had a midterm on Friday at 2, and that week I ran into Jonny Smelter, and we made plans for donuts Friday at 3. Since I keep no daytimer, I just repeat appointments in my head until I memorize them. So I had "Test at 2, donuts at 3. Test at 2, donuts at 3 . . ." running in my head over and over, but unfortunately I must have been distracted at some point, because it became "Test at 3, donuts at 4."
Friday came and I was ultra-prepared. I was studying in the geology common room with some of my buddies, and at 2:30 I decided I would head over to my Physics room to see if any of the first years could use my help in the final half hour before the test. Honestly! I am a very magnaminous bear. Imagine my surprise when I get there and see all my classmates already inside the room, writing something! And there was my prof at his station. I thought there must have been a study session planned that I wasn't aware of, so I walk in and strode down the stairs to the prof and ask him what's going on. He just glared at me. He was a super nice guy but he looked kind of mad. So I was like, "The test is at 3 right?"
No answer. I looked up at the clock, struggling with the mental arithmetic. "The test is at 2?"
He nods.
"But it's 2:30!" I said, hoping he would see the injustice.
"Well then, you better get writing," he said, and handed me a test.
Considering I had less than half the time to do it, I didn't totally poo all over it. But dammit, I would've gotten 100% if I had just showed up at the right time. It was especially frustrating because Physics was at 2 every Friday, so I should have known better.
The donuts were good, though.

No comments: