Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Back in high school my friends and I (of the SHM clan) would go swimming in the pools of fancy Jasper resorts, after camping, hiking and mountain climbing. So long as we kept a lively pace, it was never a problem. Once we even scooped a newly-completed hotel that wasn't actually open for business yet by swimming in their pristine pool, and runnning away when someone came to investiagte the splashing sounds. Today I carried on that noble tradition, but the Malaysians are so laid back I don't think they really cared. We went to Pulau Besan, a little island not far from here, and there was this pool just sitting there not being used, so I borrowed it for a while. It was soooo nice. Also, we saw monkeys. That has been a very important sub-quest of this trip, due to our love of animals and our love of the Marilyn Manson song My Monkey, about a poor little monkey who could not withstand the rigours of life in the country. Today we saw a whole family of macacques. Not tamed and fattened tourist monkeys, just normal free-ranging monkeys. So there are way too many pictures of them in the photopage but that is the advantage of a digital camera- you can take as many as you want without wasting film or poo. My favorite picture, though, is this one, of a huge grasshopper we saw. I just like the green. So now I have to start looking in earnest for the Malayan Sun bear. But only if I can avoid disturbing their peace.

No comments: