Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Jerteh
One of the side effects of the anti-malarial pills I am taking is supposed to be really strange dreams (another side effect is 1 in 10,000 experience psychotic episodes . . . ), but my dreams haven't seemed much strager than usual, though they definitely seem more vivid and real. Last night I was out on a geology field school climbing some mountains when I came across a little baby alligator in a stream. he was cute, but I could tell he would eat me if he could. Then I spotted his mother and siblings not far away, and they seemed a little scared. SO I stood up to tell my partner that something was up, and he was busy being stalked by a mountain lion! I saw it, all bunched up in the snow, waiting to pounce. No wonder the alligators were scared- such cross-ecosystem biodiversity can be alarming for their little reptile minds.
Anyways, I valourously chose to get the cougar to chase me, and it jumped on me and was biting me, but then we ran away and tobogganed down the mountainside, and it was so fun.
Back in real life, we are near some islands on the eastern coast of Malaysia, waiting to hop over to the beaches there. Rainy season seems to have arrived in force, judging by last night's torrentiousness (it was even raining inside our bus!), but the sun is up at the moment and I am sure there will be at least some time for being a sun bear here.

No comments: