Thursday, March 23, 2006

An Interview With Emily Weber
I first noticed deviantART's zimeta08 because of her fun, uniquely stylized pictures of General Grievous and other Star Wars characters, more than one of which has been my desktop background for a while.



I asked her to illustrate a story I wrote so I could present it at G-Arts. She produced a beautiful image of Mr. H Bear riding a whale.



And of course she recently made surely one of the greatest artworks in the galaxy with The Most Dangerous Sith, featured below in Bear Wars.



So, here is an interview with the young artist.
First, the details- who are you, and all that, and what tools and media do you use?

I'm Emily Weber, of course! :giggle:
I'm mostly German, you can tell by my last name, Weber which means weaver in German. So, I can only assume my ancestors were weavers :o
For art, I usually draw with a mechanical pencil, and color in Adobe Photoshop ^^

How did you get into art?

I don't know for sure. I've been drawing since I can remember... it runs in the family ;)

Where do you want to go with it? Any plans or just day at a time, having fun?

I've been thinking of entering "The Rising Star of Manga" contest by making a poem I wrote into a short 20-page comic. If I do do that, I'm hoping that maybe it'll get me somewhere.

What are you studying in university?

Right now I'm studying Fifth-Year-Japanese at ASU. I took a drawing class once, but the teacher sucked all the fun outta it so I never took another one again.

How do you say bear in Japanese:

You say Bear: "Kuma"

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I'm studying Japanese so that I can go to Japan and apply at Nintendo. Hopefully I can be a game designer, or at least a concept artist ^^

So, where did you get your screen name?

Zim= My alter ego, Zim the toad
Meta= Metal, because I love robots
08= My favorite number

What do you do to get into the creative groove?

Usually watch TV, or play video games. Because, certain games or cartoon shows have really interesting visuals, or character designs.

What do you do to get out of a creative funk?

I usually just keep drawing until it turns out good. There's really not else I can do!

Any words of wisdom you live by?

Watch for falling rocks. :nod: It could save your life someday. [Editor's note: Especially in my line of work!]

Who do you think would win in a fight between General Grievous and the Sith Bear?

Well, I really like them both ... but I think I'd rather see the Sith Bear win because it's such an interesting idea. (And, I really like warrior bears. Ever since reading The Golden Compass.)

Thanks Zimmy!

No comments: