Saturday, December 29, 2007



Usually around this time of year I talk about my favorite movies, CDs and books. Except I don't know if I saw a single good movie this year- not to say there weren't any, just that I didn't get out to see them- Bourne Ultimatum being one exception. There was lots of good music this year- but if you look at my top 7 track plays on iTunes (admittedly it's skewed since I only got the iMac in August) it shows only one song from 2007:

The Park, Feist
Ghettochip Malfuntion (Hell Yes Remix), Beck
Black Eyed Dog, Nick Drake
Sabotage, Beastie Boys
-Human, Metallica
Biko, Peter Gabriel
Resident Evil Theme, Marilyn Manson

I do recommend these 7 albums from this past year, though:

White Stripes, Icky Thump
Loreena McKennitt, Nights From Alhambra
Marilyn Manson, Eat Me Drink Me
KoRn, Untitled
Feist, The Reminder
Corb Lund, Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier
Radiohead, In Rainbows

As far as books go, I read over a hundred this year so I have lots to choose from. Again, only a few were from 2007 but that hardly matters with books. My favorite 7 books I read this year were:

1. Boy and Going Solo, Roald Dahl. Alright so that's two books but they are basically part 1 and 2 of his autobiography. They have just as much whimsy and adventure as any of his fictional works, but they are true. The more amazing because of it. Did you know he was a fighter pilot in WWII?
2. The Silverwing Saga, Kenneth Oppel. Cheating again by including an entire trilogy. Books about bats and bat gods by a Canadian author. What's not to love? In fact his airship books, Airborn and Skybreaker are also fantastic.
3. River Town, Peter Hessler. He went to China with the Peace Corps, and then wrote about it. If you ever do that you are guaranteed I will love your book.
4. Ballad of the Whiskey Robber, Julian Rubinstein. I love true stories of larger-than-life people. Especially when they are goalies in Budapest who take up bank robbing as a day job.
5. Calculating God, Robert J Sawyer. Gotta represent the Canadian writers! This one is a sci-fi book set mostly in the Royal Ontario Museum. An alien comes to Earth to investigate mass extinctions.
6. A Feast For Crows, George RR Martin. I don't usually go in for multi-volume fantasy sagas but GRR is not a JRR wannabe but a separate and unique voice. Bring on the next one already!
7. The Secret Life of Lobsters, Trevor Corson. I think marine invertebrates are about the coolest form of life ever (if I had a top 7 lifeforms-other-than-bears list of 2007 marine invertebrates would probably take 5 of the spots) so a whole book about lobsters really should've won the Pulitzer. But I grant it and all the books on this list a Poolitzer! Cheers.

No comments: