Monday, September 08, 2008

I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but when I am away in Hinton for work I stay with my grandparents, who take pretty amazing care of me. They provide me with a comfy bed and hot meals and all they really ask in return is some conversation. Which is why I suck.
There isn't a whole lot we have in common- though I remember fondly the time Grandpa intoned the classic opening lines to the old radio show The Shadow. But he isn't too aware of Slipknot or The Dark Knight. And I try to keep all of Grandma's Red Hat Ladies straight but don't always succeed.
I try really hard, and often succeed, but working 12 hour shifts with two hours of travel time above that, I am often tired, even grumpy when I get home. On nightshifts I am somewhat dazed getting up at 3:30PM, so either way I am not always the best company, as much as I try to be. Now, I am never ever rude to them, not ever. But sometimes I can be pretty distant. Not always, but still too often.
Tonight was good though- tonight we talked about polio. I realized, from watching an episode of House that I really don't know anything about polio. But guess who does? Grandparents.
I already have a topic for tomorrow night- Roger Bannister's Miracle Mile. I read that he ran that in Vancouver at the PNE of all places- I bet they'll know all about that.
If you have other suggestions in a similar vein please please leave them in the Droppings below.