Thursday, December 18, 2008

My wife is a great teacher and tomorrow is her last day until next September. Maternity leave. Most people would be jumping up and down cheering and celebrating and possibly rioting and looting to get nine months off. But she will genuinely miss it. She pretty much has it down to a science- or an art, more like. I love when she tells me stories, like how she deals with all the hyper kids who line up at her desk just as class is starting with the urgent need to tell her sob stories:
Student: Mrs. Bear I was doing some of this and some of that and etc etc etc
Mrs Bear: Skip to the moral of the story please.
Student: Wut?
Mrs Bear: Is the moral of the story that you didn't do your homework?
Student: Well, yes.
Mrs Bear: Go sit down. Next!
But I know she really admires the ones that show some spunk, like the kid who, for a fundraiser, purchased the right to teach a Language Arts class. He brought in a bunch of cans of whipped cream and was going to have an eating contest.
Mrs Bear: Hold it, Mr. X- you need to relate this to Language Arts.
Mr. X: Oh- uh, who can give me an adjective for whipped cream?
Anyways they had their eating contest and even got to smoosh some pies into my wife's face as part of the same fundraiser. Good for them!
Anyways, here's to the great teacher Mrs Bear!