Monday, December 15, 2008

Speaking of unpleasantness on the radio, we are not allowed to swear on ours at work. This is not just company policy but a requirement of the CRTC who lease us the airwaves. But of course people forget and slips are common. For the most part I am pretty good, but I let an F bomb go the other day. I think it was justified:
After delivering a space heater to a shovel operator I notice that a haultruck has come in to the stands and made its turn. Worse, it is now backing up towards the pickup I am in. I get on the radio and say, "40 truck are you there?"
No answer. The driver is a rookie, but also very near retirement age and there are concerns about how well he can actually see and hear. And he's driving a 260 ton rock truck! So much fun. Though he doesn't answer my hail he at least stops backing up and takes his truck out of reverse. I wait a few more seconds to be sure and then decide it is safe to get the hell out of there. Just as I am making a turn he starts backing up again, and I am in his path. So I get on the radio with my assertive, I could even go so far as to say scary voice. "40 truck!! DO NOT BACK UP! STOP RIGHT THERE! Oh F#@*!" That last part was no longer Scary Voice, but Scared Voice.
Obviously since I am still here I didn't get squished into a pancake but it is only because I took evasive maneuvers. And I don't think ole 40 truck even knew I was there.
My foreman thought it was justified too.