Monday, June 30, 2003

Some of you may not be aware that the Hulk was once a Defender! Way back in the '70's he was a member of the Superhero Non-team, a sort of Anti-Avengers consisting of Dr. Strange, Namor the Sub-Mariner, the Silver Surfer, Valkyrie, Nighthawk and Hellcat. And though I readily admit I have a trace amount of geekoglobin flowing in my veins, I also have to say that I had to look that up- here is a good link for hulkythe Defenders so you can learn more about them if you like. I bring it up because when I was little I had a couple of issues (I think I still have them, actually) of the Defenders and they were great- I think it was intended to be more of a light-hearted book then the typical superhero comic. I had two parts of a three part story arc (and look- I found one of the cover images at that website!), so I would love to track down the third part to fit all the pieces together. It was about how the Hulk and Namor and Dr. Strange wind up on an alien world somehow, and embark on a quest to rid that world of tyranny. I remember they had to wear disguises for some reason. The world was populated by all sorts of strange and enigmatic denizens, including angel-like beings with their wings growing out of their ears and one fuzzy guy with three arms and three eyes- I think he was the captured King or something. Those were my favorite kind of stories- heroes lost in an unfamiliar world, doing heroic things.
Sort of like what I do here on Earth.

No comments: