Thursday, May 11, 2006

The book I just read had potential- it dealt with a classic sci-fi concept. The idea is that Jupiter could possibly support life, sort of manta ray whale-like zeppelin beings, living in the atmosphere. I've read some great stories with this concept, but alas, this book was not one of them. I could forgive the terrible dialog and stock characters, but the ending was just too ludicrously dumb. Oh well- it passed the time on our circuitous route to and from Smithers.
Speaking of circuitous routes, here is my poetic homage to Jovian aliens.

Hydrogen

My entire world is made of clouds
just sky and sky and sky and sky
I sail on the unending windcurrents
serene in silent singing meditation
never to see the same place twice
I carefully avoid the colossal storms
that rage for thousands of your years
and are twice the size of your world
these cyclones are our terrible gods
and when we die, we merge with them

But such weighty matters are for
our songs that ripple and evolve
endlessly as we call to each other
across the vast sea of clouds
these songs are our own, inscrutable
Mysteries beyond your reach
for you, I use these tiny words
fit for tiny beings on tiny worlds

You also have clouds, I am told
in a blue sky with a yellow sun
and something else besides, eery and
alien to our behemoth brains
an enigma to contemplate for eons
as we travel our circuitous routes
in wonderment we try to comprehend
that on your world, you have a surface
___________________________

The first time I ran into this idea was in a Ben Bova book, I forget the name. And does anyone happen to remember a story where the main guy was changed into a sluggy sort of creature so he could hang out on Neptune? Anyways, back to one of my favorite authors with the best name ever, Greg Bear, for The Forge of God. One of Jupiter's moons goes missing in that one.

No comments: