Friday, May 26, 2006


Nightshift philosophizing.

The traditional May blizzard came last night, and as I was mesmerized by the giant puffy snowflakes tunneling down past the halogens, and forgetting if I was on my second or third (or fourth!) bucket for that truck, a difference of 80 tons per so it's kind of important, my mind wandered to the subject of mutation. I have no trouble suspending my disbelief for the patently impossible mutations in X-Men, especially since it is such an elegant way of allowing for an unlimited number of superhumans with any power you can dream up while simultaneously doing away with the necessity of inventing a secret origin for each. Dude shoots lasers out of his eyes? Cool. The blue lady can shapeshift? I love it. No need to give me the genomes and allotype mumbojumbo, I just accept it. My trouble is with real-life mutations.
Obviously mutations occur, but I'm not sure I'm buying into the whole business of evolution being driven by mutations randomly caused by radiation and whatnot. Even given a few billion years, I'm not convinced it's enough. Nor do I propose that God is behind it all. I think that the DNA code comes equipped with some mechanism or sensor to allow for periods of "deliberate" mutation. How else do you explain the sudden and explosive species radiation after each mass extinction event? When an ecological niche comes available, a species immediately (in geological terms) fills it. Therefore I think that DNA, possibly in the "junk" portion, contains some sensor, much like a lightpost senses when it is dark enough to turn on, that switches on a mechanism to allow for spontaneous mutations. Perhaps a biomass sensor with chemical cues- when there are not enough lifeforms emitting scents and other molecules, the DNA starts coding for mutations, random mistakes in the duplication of DNA strands, and some of them are successful and start a new species line. Well, with no genetical training and no empirical evidence whatsover, that's what I came up with at 2:30 AM.
And another thing- aren't we all mutants? What's the difference between a mutation and a trait (not the right word I know)? When does a mutation become a trait?
Things to think about while you watch X3, or load 260 ton trucks on nightshift.


On another note, because I was at work last night, I only got to hear the game, so I haven't seen any actual visuals to go with my Rod Phillips-induced hyper-realities. But as always, the Cosh (am I allowed to call him that?) has the best post-game. Me=broken record, I know. At least he provides some laughs to soothe the (minor) pain.

No comments: