Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Blog Tips #3: Favicons
I've dried my tears, shaved my playoff beard, and I'm ready to move on, after just one more thing:

Thank You Oilers! You kick ass!

Alright. I have another easy tip for sprucing up your template today (June 12 for previous tips). See how Homie Bear's head shows up in your address bar? And if you were so kind as to bookmark Pooing in the Woods, you would get the same icon in your bookmark menu (they're called "favicons", which is a dumb word, but Decepticon was already taken). All you need to achieve this effect is one line of code, as well as an appropriately sized icon which you can make pretty easily- make sure it's 16X16 pixels. Upload the icon to your image host, and then insert this line into your template after the title tag:
{link rel="shortcut icon" href="URL of your icon here" }
where the squiggly brackets are replaced with < >'s.
Easy, eh? It's actually a little more complicated, since IE wants an .ico file rather than a .jpg or .gif, but as long as you're using Firefox or anything other than Explorer (and you really should be!) you'll be alright.
Give it a try and let me know if it worked or if you need help.

No comments: