Sunday, June 11, 2006

Last week I saw my first bear of the season coming home from work- a black bear, I'd say three years old. And this morning driving home to Edmonton Dad and I saw a younger black bear hanging around the Yellowhead (east of Hinton- a first in my experience) with a little more curiosity than was healthy, so I pulled up to her and then honked my horn, sending her scurrying into the bushes. Not because I am mean, you guys know me better than that. Rather I was hoping to encourage a negative association with highways, cars and people. Better to frighten her a bit than have her end up run over or shot.
Anyways, it's been a good weekend for bears in the news. First we have the bear who was scared into a tree by a kitty cat. *What?* Cats can be scary. Sort of. Watch this video of housecats on the prowl and you'll see.
Then we have this photo of an orphaned polar bear cub in Siberia.
And, uh, somewhere out there in that world wide web, there's a new webcam for Pandas in Wolong sanctuary. But I can't find it just now.

No comments: