Thursday, June 29, 2006

One of the best things about our house is the veranda. I've been getting a lot of mileage out of it, or actually non-mileage since I just sit there, immobile. The sun doesn't set till almost 11PM in Edmonton in June, so it's nice to sit outside and read and watch the world go by. That Boilerplate Rhino book is so good at stimulating my thinking that I keep a notebook handy while reading. Which allowed me to take a poetic snapshot of an actual event that happened earlier this evening:

Reading on my veranda
a small girl walks by
pulling her wagon
in which sits a Care Bear
Cute, I think, and also:
They still make Care Bears?
She stops
walks back to the Care Bear
and lays it down snug
Then she walks back
to the front
of the wagon
picks up the handle
and runs like hell
Moments later her dad
zooms past
running even faster
and though he is only concerned
for her safety
I find myself cheering
for the girl
I hope she
and her wagon
and her Care Bear
make their getaway

I hope you enjoyed that- it was very funny to watch. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get back to pirates. For some reason the pirate bear has been intermittently appearing and disappearing today, hopefully that gets resolved soon- the place looks bare without him. I prefer it when it looks bear.

No comments: