Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Meant To Live
Last night at work I was singing a song with reckless abandon, but it seems I had the words wrong. The song was Switchfoot's "Meant To Live", which I had heard before but never really noticed, but it finally clicked for me yesterday.
"We were meant to live with someone else!" I was singing, and this made my coworker Erika laugh. Since she had just gone to a Switchfoot concert, she knew whereof she spoke when she said, "That's not how it goes! It goes like this, 'We were meant to live for so much more.'"
Which, when I thought about it, made much more sense than my version, which seemed to be about a guy who is unhappy with his room-mate situation- something I certainly don't identify with, that's for sure.
But yesterday was one of those "living for so much more" kind of days for me- unforeseen adventure, my favorite kind. The day started with my morning routine of stopping in at my place of work for a coffee and to read the paper. I didn't have to work until 5PM, so I had the whole day in front of me to relax. Then another coworker/friend showed up, who was on her way to Calgary en route to overseas for a few weeks. Next thing you know I was going with her, as far as Red Deer, anyways- and we listened to Switchfoot the whole way, hence my newfound appreciation for those guys. I decided I could go with her halfway and hitch-hike back and still have plenty of time before work.
And indeed, 25 minutes is plenty of time.

No comments: