Saturday, July 24, 2004

My Oozian friend Addai is a font of esoteric Middle-Eastern religious knowledge. Recently he poosted a thread about a fascinating people group I had never heard of, called the Yezidi. They are unique in that they worship an angel they call Melek Taus. We would call him Lucifer, but in Yezidi lore he is the Peacock King, and he has been either rehabilitated by God or is still evil and revels in that evilness, depending on which source you read. Anyways, the Yezidi don't eat lettuce or wear the color blue, among other things.
I told Addai that was the most fascinating thing I had learned all week, and there has certainly been some competition as far as that goes- this is the week where I learned about the mother Pope and the oldest surviving family-run business in the world.
So, what is the most fascinating thing you have learned this week?

No comments: