Thursday, July 08, 2004

Pretty Little Death Songs

Every time I say "Suicide Girls", my mind tries to find the right song to sing. But it falters, since the phrase isn't from a song, it just sounds like it should be. In fact it is derived from a Chuck Pahlaniuk book.
For the last little while, though, I have been listening to huge heaps of The Headstones, a dark and punky rock band from Canada that those of you from NotHere may never have heard of. A lot of their songs are about death and suicide (though with a lot of gallows humour). Sample lyric, from Teeth & Tissue:
"Thinking of swinging from a thread
coiled tightly around my neck
Will an exposed pipe hold the weight of fears?"

Sharing trayspace in the discplayer is Alice In Chains' Dirt, the title track being one of the coolest, darkest songs ever, with a twisty, twisted riff that gives me shivers sometimes. Especially when you think Layne Staley died of the heroin addiction he was singing about.
"I want to taste dirty, a stinging pistol
In my mouth on my tongue
I want you to scrape me from the walls"

I've never really been in that headspace, but it's a common enough one and I think these songs are healthy in a weird way- it's cathartic for the writers to let it out, and it gives kids who are despairing the realization that there are others who have been where they are, and maybe lends them the strength to persevere. I don't know. It's tough, because I don't want to be insensitive to those who have loved ones who have ended their own lives- I recently lost a relative to suicide myself.

Like everyone, I get down from time to time, and that's okay. I know there will always be better times to come, and I always look forward to tomorrow- who knows what it will bring? I'm especially looking foward to today's tomorrow, since I will be seeing the Suicide Girls Burlesque Show. Yay!

(Link not necessarily appropriate for work, or those offended by nudity.)

No comments: