Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Did you ever notice how bizarre myths are? Partly because they are so old, and partly because they are from an entirely different culture than ours. I love the weirdness of them- Athena being born by bursting from Zeus' head, for example. Or this one, picked more or less at random:
Nohotsakyum and his wife Nainohotsakyum and all the good dead people live in the sky where there is land with roads and trees like here, but no animals and no chickens. When the world comes to an end by being eaten by the big jaguar, everyone will go up there and live like them, and work in the corn patches, smoke cigars, and eat tortillas and beans.

Yum, tortillas. Anyways, the reason I bring it up is because, I thought of my own cool cosmology- a study in dualism. When I get home from work and have some time, maybe I will fashion it into a little story. Your assignment, if you want to exercise your creative juices, is to come up with a pantheon/ mythology/ cosmology of your own, and either poost it on your blog (but let me know in the droppings!) or send it to me. Sound like fun?

No comments: