Friday, December 16, 2005

An Interview with Ursula Vernon (part 1)

Frog Tribe
Here is a special treat for you- an exclusive interview with Ursula Vernon, the crazy genius who makes art such as you see above, as well as single-handedly produces Digger twice a week. More to come in the next few days.

I saw on your Metal and Magic page that you really didn't start drawing seriously till you were 17. Did you have other artistic or creative interests as a child? Or did you have more of a creative "awakening" as an adult?

Actually, for a long time I wanted to be a writer. So I wrote a great deal as a kid, much of it mercifully lost to posterity. As an adult, I still like writing, but art turned into my main field.

Did your parents or teachers help you keep that sense of wonder that is so easily lost when we grow up? How can teachers (and parents) help cultivate creativity? What's the artists' role in that? Do you get invited into schools and stuff ever?

Well, my mother's an artist, and I imagine that helped! I don't know if I had any teachers that worked specifically to address a sense of wonder--I may simply have been lucky on that count!

"Wonder"'s a pretty nebulous quality, so I'm hard pressed to say what, specifically, an artist's role is in cultivating it. I think it may be hard to do intentionally. Kinda like attracting butterflies. You can make butterfly gardens, you can provide a spot for butterflies to show up, but you can't put teeny weeny little shackles on them and keep them chained around the house.

Of course, now I'm just thinking of people with vicious guard butterflies on chains, so hell, maybe you could...*grin*

I don't get invited to many schools, I think because most of my fan base is through the internet, and I'm not terribly active in the local art scene, so the schools in the area don't neccessarily know I exist. It's probably for the best. I'm awkward around children, and however well developed a sense of childlike wonder I have, I also have a tendency to swear under stress, which is not what you want in your guest speaker. *grin*

No comments: