Thursday, October 13, 2011

I'm sure I've mentioned this sometime in the past 9 years, but Halloween is my favourite time of year. But horror movies and books are probably my least favorite of the genres of movies and books that I like- which is to say, horror is on the list of stuff I like, but it's at the bottom. Below sci-fi, fantasy, superherody, drama, comedy  and western. Science fiction and fantasy head the list because the emotions those evince, at least when done well, is a sense of wonder. Like, you want to go there and do that. Middle-Earth, an asteroid field, Hogwart's. Being a superhero would be pretty great, right?
Horror just tries to scare you. It's right there in the name. Some people really enjoy that feeling, but for me, not as much. And most movies don't really achieve that goal anyways. Then there's the sub-genres like slasher and all that stuff which I've never been into.
Nightmare Befote Christmas and Corpse Bride? Yes please.Sweeney Todd? No thank you. Well, that was alright but the Saw movies and me need never intersect ever again.
But after saying all that, I still love Halloween because the horror trappings, the ghosts and goblins and pumpkins and everything, is fun in a way that horror movies are not.

No comments: