Friday, October 07, 2011

There was an article in a Sports Illustrated, circa 1994, in which the writer related an anecdote about a guy named Joe Schitz. Seems Mr. Schitz got so tired of his name that he legally changed it. To Frank. Now no one would ask him "Whaddyaknow Joe?"
Last night at supper with some friends we were reading an article about Steve Jobs, seven things you never knew about him or something, and I impressed them by knowing stuff like his Syrian dad and who Joan Baez was and how to say Wozniak. It's not like I explained how transistors and resistors circuitly electrify with ohms to make an iPad work or anything like that, since obviously I can't. Anyways this got me thinking. What do I know?



Here's what I know about what I know.

Some of what I know is wrong. Too bad I don't know what. My wrong knowledge can come to me from an erroneous source- ie what I was taught was wrong to begin with. Or the knowledge changes over time- we were taught Pluto was a planet but now they teach us it is a dwarf planet (though we know better don't we precious?) Or our brain can fail us and "save" the info incorrectly. I was so sure Crockett's car in Miami Vice was a Testarossa- I could even recall the cheese grating in the opening credits, but my Dad, who knows cars but his pop culture fu is spotty at best, told me it was a Ferrari Daytona 365. No way!  Way! We argued and bet and then I owed him money. Though just now as a I googled it I see he DID drive a Testarossa after the Spyder was blown up in Season 3. I want my money back!

Much of what I know I've forgotten. At one time I used to know calculus and crystallography and what all the guts of a shark were, among other things, but now I don't.

None of what I know is not already known by google. Unless it's personal experiences and stuff like that I suppose. And the internet has been known to be wrong on occasion... So what's the point in acquiring knowledge when all the known knowledge of the entire world is at our fingertips (or Siri query)? I don't know!  Google it. Nah. I just like being smrt, even if all my knowledge is thoroughly useless. Like the fact that there was a joke in a magazine 17 years ago that would make an excellent intro to this little minimeditation. That's something google can't do for you- associate and correlate and bring it on home, from the top!

No comments: