Saturday, March 15, 2003

Do you think it's bad to rip a page out of a hymnal? I guess it's probably worth a few years in Poogatory. But my motives were pure. I can rationalize it thusly: 1) No one uses hymnals anymore, and most just gather dust; 2) Even if this particular hymnal is used, the chance that they will sing hymn #304 out of 500 or so is slim and 3) When I type out the lyrics for everyone in the world to enjoy, I am actually giving this ragged old hymn a new chance at life. So here, a la Desolation Angels, is Hymn #304 out of some church's hymnal, title and author unknown.

1. O Jesus, I have promised
to serve Thee to the end;
be Thou for ever near me,
my master and my friend:
I shall not fear the battle
if Thou art by my side,
nor wander from the pathway
if Thou wilt be my guide.

2. O let me feel Thee near me:
the world is ever near;
I see the sights that dazzle,
the tempting sounds I hear;
my foes are ever near me,
around me and within;
but, Jesus, draw Thou nearer
and shield my soul from sin.

3. O let me hear Thee speaking
in accents clear and still,
above the storms of passion,
the murmurs of self-will;
O speak to reassure me,
to hasten or control;
O speak, and make me listen,
Thou guardian of my soul.

There's a fourth verse but I only have three lines of it- I didn't want to press my luck by taking a second page. The hymnal, by the way, was from the church where the World Vidion fundraiser took place. It was alright- some good bands but they each only got 25 minutes so it was a little anticlimactic for most bands, including 7DF. Oh well, it was for a good cause.

No comments: