Tuesday, February 04, 2003

Lama Karma Tsundulp Lodro
I went and listened to a lama today, he was talking about chakras, a subject I have developed a mild interest in after Gotthammer Mike gave me a book called Travels by Michael Crichton. This lama is in actuality named Jeff Alvin Olson and lives in Whitehorse. It was interesting, though maybe a bit over my head, since most everyone else not only knew all about them already but some could even see them and such. Anyways, one good thing that came out it is I decided if I had a lama name it would be Lama Homie Tenzing Poodro.
When I was in Tibet, my friend Deanna was talking to some Tibetan girls about her desire to ride a yak. Being sophisticated city folk, the girls couldn't fathom why she could possibly want to get near one of these stinky foul beasts. Deanna explained that she had been all over the world and had ridden such animals as water buffalo, pigs, horse, llamas and elephants. The girls were horrified and told her, "Lamas must be respected at all times! They are not for riding!"

On a completely different topic, today's Gateway had this article on hitch-hiking , written by a female (only significant cause female hitch-hikers are rare) writer from Montreal who hitched to Halifax last year. It was pretty good, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes when she talked about getting antsy after waiting "over an hour" for a ride. Oh well, at least she had the guts to try it. Oh yeah, and her rules of hitch-hiking- well, I followed number 6, but that's about it, though I certainly tried to follow #2.
One time I saw a bear crossing the highway by where I was thumbin'. Luckily for me he just went straight into the woods and paid me no mind. Probably he had to go poo.

And, because it doesn't quite deserve its own poost, I will tack on this addendum: William Gibson has a new book, and he has a new blog. I read Neuromancer for a class once, and though I recognize it for the influential work it was, I didn't really get into it much. But I do remember how the main guy was on the lam for stealing "two megabytes of hot RAM!"

No comments: