Thursday, February 27, 2003

So Legolas the mouse is still doing fine. I'm getting pretty attached to the little guy, actually. Every now and then he'll stand up on his hind legs and try to jump out of his terrarium, but he can't jump very high, so it's kind of funny. I take him out and play with him lots too, and he still hasn't pooed on me. I think he likes me too. Anyways, I was getting a little concerned for him- I couldn't really remember how much Lauren said I had to feed him. So I pulled out the pamphlet she gave me from the pet store, and found this Interesting and Informative Treatise on the history of mice:

Mice originated in Australia and the Old World before being introduced to the rest of the countries by humans. Many of these introductions were not intentional, as the mice were stowaways on ships. The Cretans and Greeks worshipped mice, and built temples for them.

And that's it. I love the geopolitical implications- there's Australia and some Nebulous Bloc known as the Old World (which includes, apparently, Crete and Greece), and then there's the rest of the countries. I think whoever wrote that just made it up completely out of their head. And I think I can do better, while clearing up some of the misinformation contained in the pamphlet:

The Historical Origin of the Mouse
Mice weren't always as we know them, in the sense that they were once a sort of Peruvian duck. But the ancient Incas domesticated these ducks and eventually they bred them into the form we are familiar with today. But for some unknown reason, this new breed of mice was forced to migrate to Antarctica before the Inca Civilization even came to exist, and so no one knew about them even after they were no longer ducks, except the Cretes and the Greeks, who worshipped them. However, the South Pole proved to be too hostile to support the mice popluation, and anyways the mice felt bad about pooing all over the pristine whiteness of the South Polar Ice Cap, and thus they once again moved to Australia, and also the Old World. But not the rest of the countries, until the natural scientific proclivities of the mice caused them to sneak Exploratory Parties onto the ships of unsuspecting humans, such as the Chinese Pirate Warlord, Captain Antarctica. And thus mice (as well as a number of penguins who unfortunately all died of scurvy) spread across the face of the earth, and learned to like cheese.

No comments: