Thursday, February 13, 2003

Travel Buddies
I used to have this really cool Darth Maul figure that I brought with me everywhere I travelled- China twice, Alaska/Yukon and an aborted attempt to hitch-hike to Toronto (I only got as far as Winnipeg that time). Then this summer in New York I let Jonny Smelter hold him while we watched Epoosode II. Well, he never gave him back so I lost my Travel Buddy. That trip to Alaska I mentioned, though, was with my friend Olivier. We got it in our heads that it would be cool to go to Anchorage. Well, it wasn't, no offense to any Anchorageites out there. There just wasn't anything for us to do. So we ate at the Pizza Hut and turned around and went back (We did lots of cool camping stuff elsewhere though so don't worry). Olivier bought a Jar Jar Binks doll at the Hut, and so when we crossed back into Canada, the customs officer asked us if we had anything to declare, Olivier said, "Just Jar Jar." That was back in '98.
This last summer, when me and Alex went up there, I made sure to buy a Jar Jar figure as my travel buddy. So he got to cross the Chilkoot Pass with Alex and I, and Alex's little stuffed bunny, which was his Travel Buddy. See them here. Everyone needs a travel buddy. Even a Jar Jar. He should have been called Poo Poo Binks.

No comments: