Wednesday, October 29, 2003

One time at Hallowe'en I was giving out candy- this is fun because I get to see all the little kids who look so cute in their costumes. One trick or treater came to the door and she was wearing a mask, and politely, but silently, waited for me to give her some candy. So I gave her a handful, and I couldn't help but notice the leathery hands that accepted the sweets. Then she waved, and turned around and left. I saw grey hair sticking out of her mask.
I almost called out after her- she fascinated me. What was her story? I like to think she was a badass granny who doesn't give a f*ck about societal conventions, and was out having a blast.
Of course, that's just my favorite theory. Another one I came up with posited that she was the grandma of a very sick little boy who was unable to go trick or treating, so she took it upon herself to go out and get him some treats.
Alternatively, she may have been a poor or even homeless woman who was taking advantage of the occasion to score some free food- aside from candy she was maybe hoping to get some apples as well.

No comments: